Solar Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much of roof area is required to install Contact Us panels?
The thumb rule implies 10 sq. m of area (about 107 sq. feet) is required to install 1 kW solar panels.
However, in existing buildings often the roof area is already utilized with solar water heaters, recreational areas, water tanks and lift rooms. This makes solar rooftops often difficult to install in retro-fit buildings but installation of solar shed on the roof allows the usage of the roof for solar panels or other purposes.
2. Can excess units from my Solar System be sold to the grid in case of Grid tied solar systems?
Yes. As per the new net metering regulations existent in various states consumers may feed the excess electricity they generate back to the grid through automatic export feature of the solar inverters. During this process, the electricity meter runs backwards, thus allowing customers to get the credit at retail prices.
3. Who can achieve short term cost benefits by installing solar system?
Those aiming for green building certification and those using diesel as a main source for power generation will get their returns faster as the average unit cost of power from diesel is Rs. 15 /unit.
4. How many units can solar system generate in India?
India is blessed with good radiation which is above 1900 kWh/sq. mts/an. Therefore we easily expect a generation of 4kW/h’s (units) per KW per day.
5. How much sunlight do solar panels need?
Sunlight is important for solar, but even cloudy areas are great for solar energy. As long as you have area free of shade, you’ll get plenty of sunshine for panels.
6. What happens when it rains, snows, sleets or hails?
In bad weather, your panel production won’t be 100%, but your panels will still be producing power. On a cloudy day, your panels might produce 60% of what they normally would. Only exception is if it snows enough for there to be a significant accumulation on your panels, your panels will not produce electricity.
7. How many solar panels do I need to run my home, office or industry?
For a home or office with a connection of 15KW – it is not viable to install 15KW solar system because no one utilizes 100% power all day. Only the main requirements which run continuously can be shifted to solar like the TV, Computer, AC, refrigerator, accessories etc. Therefore, customers with a power supply of 15KW from the Grid, should ideally go for a 5 to 10 KW or solar installation. This rule also applies for industries.
8. What maintenance is required?
Your solar system requires almost zero maintenance, largely because it has no moving parts. All your system requires is a cleaning with a cloth to remove all the dust accumulated every 7 to 10 days.
9. How reliable is solar power?
Solar systems built today are very reliable. They have proven to be dependable sources of energy for large office buildings, mass retailers and governmental agencies, supplying megawatts of energy. Some of the largest companies in the world have buildings powered by solar energy.
10. How long will it take to get my new solar system up and running?
A typical solar panel installation takes about 30 days depending on the availability of the manufacturing lot. The length of time also depends on the complexity of your installation method and structure creation.
11. How long do PV systems last?
A well-designed and maintained PV system will operate for more than 25 years and has an expected lifetime exceeding 30 years. Experience shows most system problems occur because of poor installation, failed connections, insufficient wire size, etc. The Balance of Systems (BOS) – the controller, inverter, and protection components come with a standard warranty up to 10 years, however if well maintained and timely inspected can last for the entire 25 year period.
12. What are the cumulative benefits?
- Capitalize on the abundant supply of sunlight in India.
- Reduced dependence on State Electricity Boards.
- Avail innovative finance options offered and powerful tax incentives.
- One time capital investment with nearly zero maintenance and operating costs.
- Go for the green alternative, reduce your carbon footprint.
- Avoid diesel & other costs.
- Enjoy 25 years of free power.
- 12 to 16 hours of solar power supply.
- Avail 80% accelerated depreciation in the first year and setoff your tax liabilities.
Do you have some more query or want to Go Green Contact Sungrid Solar Today !